- Create a new project and save it at the root of your drive. Example “C:/Kicad_First_Project”.
- Click the first icon to open Eeshema.
- Let’s build an example project based on Pinguino 18F4550.
- Go to http://www.kicadlib.org/ to download DIP package for PIC18F4550.
- Press “Ctrl + F” and type “18F4550“.
- Download Library zip contributed by Matthiue Texier.
- Create a folder at hierarchy “C:/Kicad_First_Project/userlib” and save downloaded zip file to “userlib” folder. Extract it.
- Back to Eeshema. Go to “Preferences” and click “Component Libraries”.
- A windows will pop up.
- Click “Add”. Select “pic18f4550_tqfp.lib” at “C:/Kicad_First_Project/userlib”.
- Click “OK”.
- Now you can use component pic18f4550 in your local library.
- Start pick your components by clicking “op-amp” like icon at your right hand side panel.
- There are a lot components pre-installed in the local library. Using filter and type “18f4550” will get the result faster.
- Pick other basic components like resistor, capacitor, LED, USB connector, and crystal.
- Start connecting them together according to Pinguino 18F4550 diagram.
Example of schematic connection
- After completing circuit connection, press “annotate schematic components” button to help you assign component number.
- A window will pop up, click “Annotate” button then click “Yes“.
- Now you schematic is done and can proceed to draw PCB layout.
Click here to PCB layout tutorial